1. Warm Trees (all of July) is an installation at the National Arboretum of Canberra where rare and endangered trees are wrapped up in their winter woollies, made by the Friends of the Arboretum. Go for a walk through the trails and admire the hundreds of brightly coloured scarves adorning the trees. The Arboretum is just a 13 minute drive from our Griffith location, so it is perfectly situated to view this iconic landscape spectacle. Click here for more information.
2. The Canberra Truffle Festival (June – August) is an event that runs all winter, as it is the perfect time to unearth the prized Black Truffle. Also known as the Black Périgord Truffle, this black fungi grown under the ground thrives in the Canberra region, as it has the same climate as the truffle-growing regions in France. Throughout the festival there are Truffle Hunts so you can watch the dogs sniff out the truffles, degustation dinners to taste truffles in a variety of ways and masterclasses to learn how to cook with truffles. Bring your prized truffle purchases to feast upon in the warmth of our McMillan Garden furnished accommodation. Click here for more information.
3. FOR THE KIDS – The Canberra Brick Expo (11th – 13th August) is a much-anticipated event each year for lovers of LEGO. Held at the Hellenic Club, this exhibition showcases innovative LEGO creations with moving, robotic and static displays. All entry proceeds go to Paediatrics at The Canberra Hospital (PaTCH). Bring your children to immerse them is a world of colourful blocks and stay at our family friendly units in Griffith, a mere 12 minutes from Hellenic. Click here for more information.
4. Canberra Writer’s Festival (25th – 27th August). The three day event showcases local, national and international writers across an array of venues around our nation’s capital. Power, politics and passion are the driving themes of the festival and an exciting line up of authors and artists are in store for those who love books, reading or are writers themselves. Writing is the perfect winter activity, so why not book with us to overcome your writer’s block and attend this prestigious festival? Click here for more information.
5. FOR THE KIDS – Corin in Winter (June – August). In the colder months Corin Forest transforms into a winter wonderland with snowplay and tobogganing daily, snow conditions permitting. It’s just a 47 minute trip from our Griffith location, which is all the more reason to stay in one of our cosy and cost effective units to indulge in a day trip. Children aged two and under can engage in snow related activities at the site for FREE. Click here for more information.